"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.". John 16:33


Sunday, September 21, 2008

July 28, 2008

My time here is almost over! I can't believe it! It seems like only yesterday, Jess and I were hauling our bags in. Before long, we made our humble abode seem like home and now we're having to leave it all behind. I'm so sad to think that I only have one day left here. I wish I could bottle this place up and take it with me. No matter what...no matter what words, 10,000 pictures or whatever, the only fair way for this beauty to be appreciated is in person. You really know what it's about when you're standing on those rocks in "dinosaur playground" and you hear the waves, breathe in the saltiness of the sea and feel that warm breeze that you know you've found a place you'll always remember.

Today was very emotional. We had our show last night and a party today rather than having class. At the party the teachers talked to us and shared some memories. Pola said we're the best group and that we're really the first to line up with her originial vision for the program. It really meant a lot. The most touching words came from her husband Adolphus. He is so cute. He made me cry... although I had been fighting it the whole time. He said, "I hope your paths do cross one day and when they do, love each other and support each other". Then, (and this is what got me) he said "always remember this moment". And I know I will. I will always always remember sitting there between Austin and Heather, as Adolphus' blue eyes teared up and his chin trembled. I know it before he said it, that was a moment I will always remember and always cherish.

I'm eternally grateful to Pola for starting this program. I'll always remember dancing beneath the wide open sky in an ampitheater on a beautiful, summer night in Castiglioncello. I will miss this place and these people so much more than I ever thought I would. If I didn't grow as a dancer, the 2800 dollars for tuition was not in vain. I am a different person. I've learned to appreciate art and movement...to see movement in sculptures, in paintings, in the landscape...to think of myself as an expressive mover who has the ability to take people on an emotional journey if I so choose. I know there is a place for me as a dancer and ProDanza gave me the confidence and passion to go find it.

No comments: