"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.". John 16:33


Sunday, September 21, 2008

July 31, 20008

Ahhhh... Roma!!! It's beautiful and old and dirty, but so exhilarating. I love it, but I hate it! So hot and so crowded... but there's so much massive splendor everywhere I look. Sometimes it's almost too much to take in! So far, this trip has been wonderful!

After we arrived in Rome, we checked in to Prestige Guest House, which was yet another hidden treasure. It smelled wonderful. We got a welcome drink (OJ in Champagne Flukes) and some candy on a tray. Romina, the receptionist was so friendly. For breakfast, a tray of deliciousness was delivered to our room! I didn't even want to leave!!! The excitement of Rome pulled me out of the room though!

We visited the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, The Forum, and St. Peter in Chains Church. At the Colosseum, we took a tour which included Palatine Hill and partly The Forum. Our tour guide was a perv...but he's Italian... so...

We had a good dinner. We ate at Miscellanea, recommended by Rick Steves. The food was so-so, but it was cheap and fun. We got free "sexy wine" aka Strawberry Wine (made in-house). We also sat next to a crazy Canadian woman and her Irish husband. They were nice. They showed us to an amazing gelateria!! There were so many flavors. On the way there we agreed we were just going to find where it was and then wait until the next day to get some gelato... once we got inside we changed our minds... no matter how full we were, we always found room for gelato. I had grapefruit, kiwi, and raspberry!

Today we took the metro to Vatican City. We did good to figure out the subway without much help. We bought a Roma Pass which has been amazing!!! I'm still in disbelief, ... get ready for this...but at the Vatican Museum, we walked right in with no line whatsoever!!!!!

I can't believe how big that place is! It would be so easy to get lost. It was almost like sensory overload. I just wanted to see sculptures, and the Sistine Chapel. We saw it all though. I'm so glad I'm here with Jessica who also enjoys museums and learning. We had to rush somewhat to get back to 3 Coins Bed and Breakfast (should be renamed Hotel Inconvenience).

Luckily, after six whole years of waiting, I got to climb the cupola at St. Peter's Basilica. For an extra two euro, we took the elevator which cut out 200ish steps... still living 321. I was so surprised at how easy it was. We were at the top before I even realized. It kind of disappointed me. I expected to be cramping and gasping for breath by the time I made it to the top.

The stairs have been modernized, so unlike Florence, there wasn't much tight spiraling. At the top, I expected it to feel much higher. I guess those hills in Castiglioncello got my legs in shape =)

We came back to our hotel to check in and then shopped around the Spanish Steps. I got a bomb rain-coat. I can't wait to wear it! We had dinner on Campo de Fiori, which means Field of Flowers. It was nice. We walked back to our room, which was quite the haul. It was worth it. I'm tired and dirty, so shower and Notte-Notte. We saw the end of a live dance concert in front of the Pantheon.

-Notte Notte

No comments: